Surgeries are complex and the prospect of having one might seem to be daunting. However, if need be and if that is the medical course of treatment that is advised by our doctor, then that is what people generally have to go for.
Well, if you are facing the prospect of having a knee replacement surgery and if you have certain questions like what are the risks involved, what is the best total knee replacement surgery, etc., then here are certain basic things about knee replacement surgery that you should definitely be aware of:
- First and foremost, knee replacement surgery is a procedure by which a damage bone or cartilage or both of your knees is replaced with artificial materials like metals which are conducive for your body. Thus only and only if the damage is extremely severe or if the osteoarthritisin your knee has spread way too much, then only will the doctor advice this type of surgery.
- Typically before opting for a knee replacement surgery, surgeons and doctors prescribe other methods of treatment. The most common one of the many ways suggested by them are physiotherapy. When done regularly and under proper guidance, this is the best method of treatment, if the arthritis can be treated externally. Sometimes oral medication also works in relieving the pain and containing the arthritis. If however, even after trying all these methods, the pain and discomfort refuses to subside and if you see any stubborn inflammation or redness in your knee that simply refuses to go away, then maybe it is time for a knee surgery. So doctors will try all sorts of treatment before they prescribe something as complex a procedure as knee surgery.
- There are various types of knee surgeries and which one you should opt for will be decided by your doctor depending upon the condition of your knee. If the damage is too extreme then you might need to opt for a total knee replacement surgery. However surgeries can also be done to treat affected areas only depending on the level of damage and the area. Sometimes people might have to go through multiple replacements when the condition is too severe for one surgery to cure.
- Well, if you want to know is knee replacement surgery successful, then you will be reassured to know that in most cases they are. However there are various risks that are also involved with this process that you should be aware of before you opt for it for your own benefit.
- And lastly, the post-operative care and period after a knee replacement surgery will be a long one. You will have to be in bed rest for quite some time and resume walking very slowly indeed. You might have to take the help of assistance while you get the strength back in your knees. Do not forget to check in with your doctor with updates from time to time.
So, these are some of the most basic but extremely crucial things that you have to be aware of about knee replacement surgeries.